The most commonly asked questions about blocked drains, drain surveys and repairs.

Do you come out to clear blocked drains at the weekend?

Yes, we can come out 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Someone will always pick up the phone whether it is an evening, weekend or bank holiday. If it is an emergency blocked drain that can't wait until Monday morning, it may cost a little extra, but one of our drain engineers will attend.

I am searching for a local drainage company. Can you help?

Yes, we can. Drain Detectives are a large company with local offices across the South East of England in Kent, Surrey, Sussex, and London. Having LOCAL drain engineers means you get a quicker reponse, but being part of a bigger company, means engineers get first class support.

Do you have call out charges?

No, we don't. What we do offer is a FIXED price for clearing blockages at domestic properties.

Will the water authority come out to clear my blocked drain?

It depends WHO is responsible for the drains. As a general rule, if drains are on your property AND not shared, then it is down to you. Drains off your property are NOT your responsibility. A shared drain is the responsibility of the water authority, who will clear it FREE of charge. It can get a bit more complicated with flats or private roads. See our guide to drain responsibility.

How do I make payment?

You can pay cash or cheque to your drain engineer, or call the office and pay by BACS or card.

Do you give a 28 day guarantee when you have unblocked a drain?

With of all of our drain, sink, toilet, bath or gully unblocking services, we are pleased to provide our customers with a 28 day guarantee. However, there are a couple of exceptions.

Firstly there is NO guarantee for the blockage should we find defects in the pipework such as root ingress, cracked lines, dropped pipework, scaled pipes, bad installation etc.

Secondly, the guarantee will become VOID should we return and find wet wipes, nappies, fat or grease etc within the drainage system. This will be classed as misuse of the drain system.

Can you help me prevent rats getting into my home?

Most problems with rats entering the home are caused by defective drainage systems. So if the normal rat control methods AREN'T working, we CAN help. Rats enter through cracked pipes, displaced drains or redundant drains. We can carry out a full cctv drain survey, to identify any defects, which would allow rats out of the sewers and into your home. Our survey report will list any defects, with recommendations for drain repairs to STOP the rats getting into your property. As well as carrying out repairs, we can also install rat blockers into the line from the sewer.

Do you have any accreditations?

We have several nationally recognised accreditations, such as Constructionline, SafeContractor as well as full membership of the N.A.D.C. (National Association of Drainage Contractors).

Wouldn't it be cheaper to use a chemical drain cleaner?

Chemical drain cleaners do have a limited use. They might clear a small amount of hair clogged in your sink or bath, however they can damage pipes, are DANGEROUS if incorrectly used and are bad for the environment. They would NOT clear a blocked manhole. Drainage engineers ALWAYS use mechanical methods, whether it is using drain rods or high-pressure water jetting.

Can you repair drains without digging them up?

We offer drain repair services such as re-rounding pitch fibre drains, patch lining and full length drain lining, that are used wherever possible, rather than the more costly drain excavation.

Should I have a cctv drain survey for the house that I am buying?

A pre-purchase drain survey is a must for any homebuyer. Any defects found can either be repaired on the seller home insurance or maybe used to reduce the purchase price. You can then move into your new home knowing that you will not have any surprise drainage issues.

Do you offer pre-planned maintenance for hotels and restaurants?

We regularly carry out Pre-Planned Maintenance (PPM) work for a range of commercial clients including schools, hotels, shopping centres, restaurants and bars. Who wants to be without toilets or have a blocked drain on the busiest day of the year? You know it makes sense.

What is an interceptor trap?

These clay traps (similar to a U-bend beneath your toilet) were installed in victorian times to stop smells and rodents escaping from the main sewer into the property. They are no longer needed as toilets and sinks have their own trap. They do have a tendency to become blocked by silt and debris and the rodding access bypasses the trap, so they are difficult to clear. Where they are found to be broken, they are simply replaced with a straight piece of pipe.

I am building an extension. Do I need someone to locate my drains?

If you are extending your home, you'll need to know the location of any drains. If you're building within 3.0m of a public sewer, or within 1.0m of a public lateral drain, you'll need the approval of your local authority. Drain tracing will show you the exact location and depth of your drains.

What if I can't find the answer to my question?

Please call 0800 357 9371 and one of our drain engineers will do their best to help.

Approved drainage contractor
If you have blocked drains or need a drain survey or drain repairs, you have come to the right place. Call our friendly office on 0800 357 9371 today for expert advice and a FREE no-obligation quote!